What you need to know to set up your Website
- Strategy and Design for your Web Page. (For best
results a professional designed Web page is recommended.) For Web
Site Design consulting call or send e-mail.
- Web Development tools
with FTP client software such as Netscape Communicator.
- You will need the login name assigned to you, along
with your secret password.
- When you access your account you will have at least
- logs -- contains
your raw access and error log files. These logs record every hit
made your web site, and any errors that occurred (such as invalid
- cgi-bin -- Contains
your cgi scripts.
- htdocs -- Contains
your index.html file which is the default directory index and will
be the starting home page. There should be one file named index.html
in the htdocs directory and any directories created inside of
htdocs. Users of your web site will only have access to readable
files under the htdocs/ directory.
- Graphical Statistics Charts
-- Extensive graphical web statistics of traffic to your site is available
the next day after your site is available. The files are automatically
generated every night and placed in htdocs/stats
directory. You may view them by browsing to your-domain.name
followed by /stats
For example www.rdurkee.net/stats
- In case your domain registration is still being processed
an alternate URL for your web site will be reachable as http://rdurkee.net/your-login/
where your-login is replaced with
the login name assigned to you.
- Read your e-mail via the web using web mail
- The capabilities of your web server are too many
to list here, if there's something else you want or or interested
in, please ask!